Author Topic: Basic & Me  (Read 14645 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: Basic & Me
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
It's still amazing what can be done in just a few lines of BASIC.

That's why they call it BASIC.

Offline n00b

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 10:57:46 PM »
Hello again everyone.  I figured I would talk about my history with BASIC.  I am probably not as experienced as some of the other members here.  I taught myself how to program with qbasic on a packard bell running Windows 95.  When I got the computer it came with a few games on 5.25 in floppy disk.  I remember my favorite game was Dr. Quandry.  I started teaching myself how to program in order to be able to make games like the games I loved to play.  However, all of my games were terrible and thats if they even worked. I had a lot of fun with qbasic.  But then I got out of programming for a few years until I got to high school and I got the oppurtunity to take a class on java.  I absolutely hate java but it did get my juices flowing again.  I would take alot of the stuff I learned in class and try to do similiar stuff at home with freeBasic.  I actually wrote my first 3d demo with fb.  FreeBasic was my primary language for years.  In fact I have the same user name on the FreeBasic forums although I can't even remember my password to log in anymore.  I started messing with other BASICs and eventually stumbled on sdlBasic.  sdlBasic was pretty awesome to use and I loved having a bunch of multimedia commands at my finger tips.  sdlBasic along with qbasic and freeBasic inspired me to create RC BASIC which is my own dialect of BASIC.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
Hi, I've been using BASIC since the 1970's, having learned on an ICL1900. I programmed professionally in the language on DEC PDP-11, Transdata CX-400 (8080 system), Digico M16-E, HP Systems (Business Basic ... nice!), and then went into hardware.

I ran a Dragon32 for a long while (Frankenstein-][ - 512k paged memory and with a LOT of hardware mods on-board)

I have continued to use BASIC ever since - as a scripting tool to automate some sysadmin jobs, write modules to automate MS Office documents and to support my own collecting hobby using VB6.

With the advent of Windows 10, I want to move into system agnostic programming, and so I have started learning about ScriptBasic. I'm still trying to get my web-server to accept that SB is a thing and not an error. I may have to regress to XAMPP (tis a shame - I'd just managed to get the Bitnamy Ruby Stack running just-so, too!).

I don't like to talk about excursions into Pascal, C, Assembler, Fortran or Cobol - and am trying to forget ever having worked with DBase and Paradox.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
Welcome to the All BASIC forum!

Are you trying to use the Script BASIC application HTTPD server as a proxy to Apache on Windows?

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 08:37:03 AM »
Been away from the keyboard for a while (summer trips and gardening take priority  8) )

Having spent an age dibbling around with all manner of software to try to get my project off the ground, I have gone back to first principles, and am going to write the initial DB software as a simple application in ScriptBasic, probably with a VT100-style interface in the first instance, which means a serial interface front end, but that is just a software module, after all.

Once I have the file handling and DB logic running properly, I'll work on bringing a web-based interface into play.

Incidentally, there will be none of this new, fangled RDBMS rubbish - the database is just a parallel set of  single table datasets, ideally suited to a variation of an ISAM dbs - with headers, indices and simple look-up lists - and the odd link to blob files.

Right now, the db is in Access 97, it is slow, clunky and is definitely NOT in a good format for data recovery.

Once I have my variant ISAM module up and running, I'll probably share it here. I'll even try to make it a cross-platform beastie *crosses fingers and hopes*.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »
I highly recommend SQLite as your DB of choice.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
I'm writing a custom ISAM handler - I need to be able to create arbitrary datasets with minimum hassle, but I also want the entire dataset to be human-readable from a printer dump (the ultimate in compatibility).

Offline Marcus

• BASIC Developer
    • NaaLaa
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 06:42:30 AM »
My BASIC history is short.

I got an Amiga 500 from my parents when I turned 11 or 12. After reading an article about programming and the different languages in a Swedish computer magazine I bought AMOS Basic. The only thing I was interested in was creating my own games, and that's what I did (for Amiga computers only) until I turned 19 or so and gave up on computers completely. By then I had moved on from AMOS to Blitz Basic 2 and 68k assembler.

200X I got back to BASIC by writing my own BASIC like language, NaaLaa. I just wanted to write an advanced calculator but got carried away.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:51:33 AM by Marcus »

Offline AndrewK

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
I wonder whether computers which only run BASIC are still attractive to people, Raspberry Pi is cool, but it includes a lot's of unnecessary components. The BASIC fun can be found with cheap computers as small as an Arduino, and it can be made into compact handheld easily. I'd purchase one if someone made this to production.

Hi wangrenxin,
My company is working on something along that line at present.
I'm working on a new minimal extensible version of BASIC as part of it.
I'll keep you posted if you like.

Andrew K.
BNotro

Offline AndrewK

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 07:38:02 PM »
BASIC was the first programming language I learnt.
I've used a variety of dialects professionally for 30+ years and still going.
This includes various Microsoft BASICs (AppleSoft, QBasic, VisualBasic, VB.Net, VBA, etc.), VAX 11 BASIC, RealBASIC and a few others.

Finally writing my own at present, which I'm aiming to use for a variety of projects.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 08:24:50 PM »
Welcome Andrew!

You might want to have a peek at ScriptBasic as a guideline for your BASIC.