Author Topic: Script BASIC Windows 32 bit  (Read 7457 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Script BASIC Windows 32 bit
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
I'm in the final process of releasing a Script BASIC Windows 32 bit Inno packaged install. I will be updating this thread as I build the install image giving you a preview of what to expect. Your feedback is appreciated!

IDE/Debugger

Script BASIC has traditionally been distributed as an embeddable scripting engine API. Examples of its use are provided by the console variation called scriba and a multi-thread web server variation called sbhttpd. With this release for Windows, a GUI IDE/Debugger will take center stage as an interactive development interface. Scriba and a Windows mode versions I call sbwin.exe will also be included as runtime language resources as well as libscriba.dll. (shared object variation of scriba) I will expand on more of the IDE/Debugger's features in an upcoming post to this thread.

Extension Modules

• COM - An easy to use COM/OLE interface with access to MSOffice, VB6 or .NET COM visible components.
  • DLLC - A FFI on steroids written by Charles Pegge the OxygenBasic author. Virtual DLLs, Windows specific types and structures creation / access and low level COM are just a few of its features.
  • SBT - Script BASIC was designed as a thread safe scripting language environment. SBT brings to the desktop what SBHTTPD offered for the web. Threads at their best. More info in a future post.
  • IUP - A cross platform native GUI that can call back to SB script functions for event processing. Also supports embedded COM/OLE controls in forms providing basic ATL container support. Include is a live dialog editor / creation feature that goes beyond traditioal form designers.
  • SDL_gfx - A SDL based graphic primitive library with alpha channel support.
  • cURL - A seamless interface to the popular libcurl network/web communications library.
  • SQLite - A self contained DB library that follows Script BASIC database standard access routines. (Open, Close, Query, Fetch, ...)
  • MySQL - A C direct client interface to MySQL database server platform.
  • ODBC - Access multiple database formats using Windows standard ODBC interface.
  • Also included are extensions for registry access, regular expressions, xml and others. (Tiny Scheme, Perl, JavaScript language interfaces)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:55:53 PM by John »

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
Re: Script BASIC Windows 32 bit
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »
You had my attention at "Inno Install"

Of course I'll install (and comment)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
Thanks for willing to help get the release tested. All that is left to do is assemble a set of examples for the extension modules and expand more on the IDE/Debugger and IUP dialog editor.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
I look forward to it. 8)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
I think I'm going to post a pre-release without examples and documentation tor testing purposes. I should have something up on the forum soon.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 04:10:13 AM »
 ;D

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:56:51 PM »
I had asked Mike Lobanovsky (FBSL author) if he would have a peek at the Script BASIC Inno install setup file I created before releasing it to general beta.

Quote from: Mike
I tested the installer under my XP, Vista, Win7 and Win10 and it ran smooth in both install and uninstall modes everywhere.

Theming did look native under all Windows versions for both IUP examples and the VB IDE.

Mike made some suggestions (functional / cosmetic) I plan to incorporate before posting the Script BASIC Windows 32 bit install.

I hope to have something to play with very soon.

FYI:   Everything other then DYC, DLLC, COM and the Script BASIC IDE/Debugger were compiled on Windows 10 using TDM-GCC32.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:52:51 PM by John »

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
Install on my Win 7 SP1 was smooth, seamless and slick.

Users do need to remember to set the file associations for opening .SB files (use OpenWith to set the association) - at the moment, the default icon for these files is C:\Windows\System32\SHELL32.dll[0] unless you use sbide.exe

For convenience, there are the two SB icons (lifted from a previous release) attached below for users to associate with the filetype, or you could use:

C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe [1 | 2 | 3 ] (the script icons for vbscript, javascript etc.) I might rebuild and package these icons up separately, in case anyone wants to use them.

As ever, the programs execute with little appreciable delay - and the IDE (which I haven't played with yet) loads immediately (compared with 5-10 seconds for VB6 on the same machine).

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »
SB scripts can run in the console (scriba.exe) or as a Windows program with no console / redirection support (sbwin.exe) and via the IDE.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:46:26 AM by John »

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »
In order to kick off public discussion:

I have run test programs in both console and windows modes - both run both seamlessly and with no appreciable delays - they make the Windows Scripting Host look like an ox-cart by comparison (don't get me started on the snail-drawn sled that is VBA for Office!)

The IDE provides a basic toolset - not that I ever use much more than a highlighting editor, and I cannot see much that it needs in addition. It is currently a one file-one-window interface.

While the IDE runs on double-click of a file, it does not actually load the file that it was launched with - requiring the IDE to be run and then a SB file to be opened. This may or may not be a bad thing.

Such tools as "insert file at cursor" are superfluous in this day and age, and things like "insert resource as binary data" are better handled by external programs.

The tools for my wishlist (which might well be external to the IDE, in any case) would include:

A Project Manager - to place resource files, internal dependencies, documentation/help and language (localisation) files within a standard project folder. Some metadata and automatic versioning would be nice.

A Project Packager - to package up a project with its internal dependencies for delivery as a ZIP/TAR-GZIP.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
The Script BASIC IDE/Debugger is written in VB6 which should make it easier for others to expand on it. Jumping back on board with VB6 (and its user based enhancements) was fun and refreshing.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
Wow.

In a way, it's a shame that it wasn't written in SB (just kidding).

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »
In a way, it's a shame that it wasn't written in SB (just kidding).

Only the UI is VB6. The IDE is a GUI wrapper for the existing Script BASIC debug preprocessor and language as a shared object. Peter Verhas started sdbg as sccket based GUI front end which I redid as a remote console mode debugger.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:03:56 PM by John »

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
Interesting.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 07:32:15 PM »
It is currently a one file-one-window interface.

When Script BASIC runs a script, any IMPORT (only add once)  or INCLUDE files are combined into one file to run or debug. The debugger will point to the first executable line in the main script.

I use UltraEdit for all my Script BASIC coding and use the Script BASIC IDE for debugging or testing concepts.