Author Topic: RTB - Return to BASIC  (Read 30970 times)

Online John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: RTB - Return to BASIC
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »
I thought you were driving a truck commercially for a living. and you had an app for drivers.

Am I confused and have you mixed up with someone else?

Offline drogon

• BASIC Developer
    • Drogon Projects
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 10:35:41 AM »
Obviously confused :)

-Gordon

Online John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
Sorry!

Offline drogon

• BASIC Developer
    • Drogon Projects
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 10:45:06 AM »
No worries...

I did write some scuba diving decompression software once upon a time though - diving app, driving app... ah well!

-Gordon

Online John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
Peter Verhas (Script BASIC author) is an avid scuba diver. Not sure he is still active with all the Java books he has released lately.

Online John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 04:07:09 PM »
I checked out your site and now remember your other obsession, baking. My new distraction is furnature refinishing.

BTW: I now remember who had the truck drivers app. It was written in B4A for Android devices.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:59:46 PM by John »

Offline neilld

• Advocate
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 02:36:39 AM »
Hi, Stumbled onto this thread following the "reminder" email.  Was using RTB for some domestic "hobby" stuff until development/support dried up. Now using FUZE Basic which is OK for my needs.
Jus installed your RTB apk for android to a geriatric tablet and it seems to work.  Do you have any guidance notes anywhere (I seeem to have six squares and an arrow key symbol on my screen - not sure what they do?

thanks & regards

DFN

Offline drogon

• BASIC Developer
    • Drogon Projects
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 02:53:31 AM »
Hi, Stumbled onto this thread following the "reminder" email.  Was using RTB for some domestic "hobby" stuff until development/support dried up. Now using FUZE Basic which is OK for my needs.

There was never really any support for RTB - as a hobby project it just ticked along, as it does now. Maybe let me know what's missing in RTB and I'll put it on the board for another release?

-Gordon

Online John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »
I think that was my attempt to compile RTB on Android native. I use C4Droid which creates the app container you see. The background graphics are arrow keys and a return. You can also define hot keys with the container. It's pretty old and was just an experiment.

Have Fun!

Offline neilld

• Advocate
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »

There was never really any support for RTB - as a hobby project it just ticked along, as it does now. Maybe let me know what's missing in RTB and I'll put it on the board for another release?

-Gordon
[/quote]
Hi,
My needs are fairly simple, access to GPIO, Analogue inputs via external a/d converter and serial comms via USB.
The latest version of FUZE Basic has a nice softPWM feature which gives the option of PWM output from any GPIO pin (think the Raspberry Pi has only one GPIO pin which can be configured as PWM).  This is useful for speed controlling motors etc.

regds.

DFN

Offline drogon

• BASIC Developer
    • Drogon Projects
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 09:28:18 AM »

-Gordon
Hi,
My needs are fairly simple, access to GPIO, Analogue inputs via external a/d converter and serial comms via USB.
The latest version of FUZE Basic has a nice softPWM feature which gives the option of PWM output from any GPIO pin (think the Raspberry Pi has only one GPIO pin which can be configured as PWM).  This is useful for speed controlling motors etc.

regds.

DFN
[/quote]

Those features should be in the current release, (as it's the same version that the fuze people initially got), but I'll check.

The working version uses my wiringPi extensions library, so to add in (say) and mcp3004 ADC, then you'd execute

wpiExtension ("mcp3004:0:200)

then you have

analogRead (200)

200 through 207, etc.

sOpen() and other serial functions ought to be there too - check the manual at https://unicorn.drogon.net/rtb.pdf you just need to path to the serial device - /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 or whatevre your usb serial gives.

However I've got some time early next week so will go through it all. Currently I make a Pi release and Linux x32 and x64 releases. There is a network extension that lets you control Pi GPIO pins from another Pi or generic  Linux box too.

Cheers,

-Gordon

Online John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 02:04:29 PM »
DFN,

Was your Android questions about RTB curiosity or a platform of intetest?

Offline neilld

• Advocate
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
Gordon,
Thanks for info.  I think the last time we communicated (by email) the ADC feature was not available  but would like to revisit.  The FUZE version only talks to an 8 bit ADC which is a bit limiting.

John,
I currently focus on Raspberry Pi for various "home" projects (security, data logging etc.)
My interest in the Android version was more to see if I could get it to work and to see what (if anything) I could do with it.

thanks

DFN

Offline neilld

• Advocate
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 09:04:25 AM »

-Gordon
[/quote]
Hi,

regds.

DFN
[/quote]

Those features should be in the current release, (as it's the same version that the fuze people initially got), but I'll check.

The working version uses my wiringPi extensions library, so to add in (say) and mcp3004 ADC, then you'd execute

wpiExtension ("mcp3004:0:200)

then you have

analogRead (200)

200 through 207, etc.

sOpen() and other serial functions ought to be there too - check the manual at https://unicorn.drogon.net/rtb.pdf you just need to path to the serial device - /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 or whatevre your usb serial gives.

However I've got some time early next week so will go through it all. Currently I make a Pi release and Linux x32 and x64 releases. There is a network extension that lets you control Pi GPIO pins from another Pi or generic  Linux box too.

Cheers,

-Gordon
[/quote]

Gordon,
Checked back through my notes.  The last version of RTB that I used was 2.20 (September 2015)  but there was a version "in the works"  (2.22) which I think was to include the features mentioned above (ADC,softPWM etc.)
Is this the version now available on your site?

thanks

DFN

Offline drogon

• BASIC Developer
    • Drogon Projects
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »
Just to update - I've been going through some of the code today, running all my tests on it after some recent changes, so I hope to post new versions soon. They will be Pi .deb's as well as Debian/Devuan .debs (x86 and x86_64) as well as a .tgz that might work on other Linuxes. I don't have the resources to build for other platforms.

Things added since the last release include a new way to add wiringPi extensions as well as direct I2C access code - in as much as you can handle bytes in RTB (all numbers are 64-bit doubles internally) There are some tweaks to the associative array code too (not that I've found anyone who uses it though).

-Gordon