Author Topic: Basic & Me  (Read 12279 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: Basic & Me
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
It's still amazing what can be done in just a few lines of BASIC.

That's why they call it BASIC.

Offline n00b

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 10:57:46 PM »
Hello again everyone.  I figured I would talk about my history with BASIC.  I am probably not as experienced as some of the other members here.  I taught myself how to program with qbasic on a packard bell running Windows 95.  When I got the computer it came with a few games on 5.25 in floppy disk.  I remember my favorite game was Dr. Quandry.  I started teaching myself how to program in order to be able to make games like the games I loved to play.  However, all of my games were terrible and thats if they even worked. I had a lot of fun with qbasic.  But then I got out of programming for a few years until I got to high school and I got the oppurtunity to take a class on java.  I absolutely hate java but it did get my juices flowing again.  I would take alot of the stuff I learned in class and try to do similiar stuff at home with freeBasic.  I actually wrote my first 3d demo with fb.  FreeBasic was my primary language for years.  In fact I have the same user name on the FreeBasic forums although I can't even remember my password to log in anymore.  I started messing with other BASICs and eventually stumbled on sdlBasic.  sdlBasic was pretty awesome to use and I loved having a bunch of multimedia commands at my finger tips.  sdlBasic along with qbasic and freeBasic inspired me to create RC BASIC which is my own dialect of BASIC.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
Hi, I've been using BASIC since the 1970's, having learned on an ICL1900. I programmed professionally in the language on DEC PDP-11, Transdata CX-400 (8080 system), Digico M16-E, HP Systems (Business Basic ... nice!), and then went into hardware.

I ran a Dragon32 for a long while (Frankenstein-][ - 512k paged memory and with a LOT of hardware mods on-board)

I have continued to use BASIC ever since - as a scripting tool to automate some sysadmin jobs, write modules to automate MS Office documents and to support my own collecting hobby using VB6.

With the advent of Windows 10, I want to move into system agnostic programming, and so I have started learning about ScriptBasic. I'm still trying to get my web-server to accept that SB is a thing and not an error. I may have to regress to XAMPP (tis a shame - I'd just managed to get the Bitnamy Ruby Stack running just-so, too!).

I don't like to talk about excursions into Pascal, C, Assembler, Fortran or Cobol - and am trying to forget ever having worked with DBase and Paradox.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
Welcome to the All BASIC forum!

Are you trying to use the Script BASIC application HTTPD server as a proxy to Apache on Windows?

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 08:37:03 AM »
Been away from the keyboard for a while (summer trips and gardening take priority  8) )

Having spent an age dibbling around with all manner of software to try to get my project off the ground, I have gone back to first principles, and am going to write the initial DB software as a simple application in ScriptBasic, probably with a VT100-style interface in the first instance, which means a serial interface front end, but that is just a software module, after all.

Once I have the file handling and DB logic running properly, I'll work on bringing a web-based interface into play.

Incidentally, there will be none of this new, fangled RDBMS rubbish - the database is just a parallel set of  single table datasets, ideally suited to a variation of an ISAM dbs - with headers, indices and simple look-up lists - and the odd link to blob files.

Right now, the db is in Access 97, it is slow, clunky and is definitely NOT in a good format for data recovery.

Once I have my variant ISAM module up and running, I'll probably share it here. I'll even try to make it a cross-platform beastie *crosses fingers and hopes*.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »
I highly recommend SQLite as your DB of choice.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
I'm writing a custom ISAM handler - I need to be able to create arbitrary datasets with minimum hassle, but I also want the entire dataset to be human-readable from a printer dump (the ultimate in compatibility).

Offline Marcus

• BASIC Developer
    • NaaLaa
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 06:42:30 AM »
My BASIC history is short.

I got an Amiga 500 from my parents when I turned 11 or 12. After reading an article about programming and the different languages in a Swedish computer magazine I bought AMOS Basic. The only thing I was interested in was creating my own games, and that's what I did (for Amiga computers only) until I turned 19 or so and gave up on computers completely. By then I had moved on from AMOS to Blitz Basic 2 and 68k assembler.

200X I got back to BASIC by writing my own BASIC like language, NaaLaa. I just wanted to write an advanced calculator but got carried away.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:51:33 AM by Marcus »