Author Topic: AIR: Mac OS X Emulation Parameters  (Read 4575 times)

Mike Lobanovsky

AIR: Mac OS X Emulation Parameters
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
Hello Armando,

Referring to your message and screenshot here, I'd like to add that I'm finding Mac's window management extremely elaborate and elegant even though personally I've been programming exclusively under, and for, Windows for as long as I can remember myself.

I'm very fond of toying with both legacy PPC Mac stuff:

and more modern versions of OS X:

I've also gone as far as porting the basic Mini vMac emulator to KolibriOS, the tiniest and fastest x86 i386 graphics OS in existence:

using my own port of TCC v0.9.5 to the same OS.

Now as far as I can see from your screenshot, your Mountain Lion VM seems to support emulated Mac audio (there's a speaker glyph present on your menu bar). If so then can you please tell me the following:
  • does your audio actually work
  • does it support simple left-front/right-front stereo only or also more elaborate multi-speaker stereo setups
  • does it work OK for you in both headphone and speaker modes
  • what audio .kext "driver" is actually used in your emulation

Thanks in advance.

@John:

Sorry for posting this topic in this subforum but there seems to be no Lounge equivalent here which might be very welcome for philosophizing on topics not directly related to BASIC. BASIC developers don't live by bread BASIC alone. :)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: AIR: Mac OS X Emulation Parameters
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
Quote from: Mike
Sorry for posting this topic in this subforum but there seems to be no Lounge equivalent here which might be very welcome for philosophizing on topics not directly related to BASIC. BASIC developers don't live by BASIC alone.

Quote from: About BASIC board
Topics about BASIC in general along with OS related subjects.

That is what this board is about. Things that don't fit anywhere else but would still be interesting and relevant to the group.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:08:22 PM by John »

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
Sorry for late reply, was on vacation.

ALL of the drivers being used are the default VMware-provided drivers.  So unlike the issues that come up when running a "Hackintosh" directly or virtually, OS updates don't break anything.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
Thanks for the tip Armando,

Then my only problem would be to find a place where to buy me a VMware Workstation or Player that would actually allow me to install OS X natively under something else but another OS X. Ain't no big thing, really...

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:27:05 AM »
You don't actually need a running OSX install.

You can use DMG2IMG to convert the disk image to ISO format.

Then using the free Player, run the unlock tool.  Create a new VM, selecting Apple OSX as the OS type and select the version of the OS from the dropdown menu.

Attach the newly created ISO, and then boot and install the OS as you normally would (making sure you use Disk Utility to set up the OSX Partions before installing).

I just did this, using 10.8.2.  Ran system update to take it to 10.8.5, no issues.  Audio works out the box.

AIR.