Author Topic: Phix suddenly stopped working.  (Read 9107 times)

Tomaaz

Phix suddenly stopped working.
« on: August 11, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »
I would like to report a problem with Linux version of Phix. It suddenly stopped working. All I get is a "segmentation fault" error. I'm using 32-bit Sparky Linux. It's a rolling release distro based on Debian.

Tomaaz

Re: Phix suddenly stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:57:54 AM »
Just tried 64-bit version on Solus and the result is the same - segmentation fault.

Offline petelomax

• BASIC Developer
  • Author of Phix
    • The Phix Programming Language
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
I haven't even heard of either of those distros, in fact I only test it on ubuntu.

What I would do is install evans debugger (0.9.18) or similar and see where it goes wrong. If you have access to a distro where it works, you can run "./p -d p" to get a list.asm of the compiler and then see if you can locate the error in that.

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:34:54 AM »
You haven't heard of Debian???

Just wanted to report this. Rolling release distos are becoming more and more popular nowadays and I thought this problem could be something important to you.

Offline petelomax

• BASIC Developer
  • Author of Phix
    • The Phix Programming Language
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:09:15 AM »
Of course I have heard of Debian, though I have never used it, it was Sparky and Solus that I had never heard of.

This is important to me, however as a one man band I have limited resources and am just letting you know I cannot get on this any time soon, sorry.

One other thing I might try is running p -c -test on ubuntu, then transfering the new executables out of the test direcory to Sparky/Solus to see which, if any, run there.

Thanks for the report,
Pete

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 05:54:44 AM »
Don't get me wrong. I don't expect you to fix this overnight or anything like that. Just wanted you to be aware of the situation.