Author Topic: C BASIC  (Read 66056 times)

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
Re: C BASIC
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »
It seems like I'm the only one bothering to upload to Github.  Where is the other code?  I'm not doing this by myself, you know, it's supposed to be a collaboration.

At the very least some feedback would be good (Not you, John, you've already helped track down one bug.  Thanks for that!).

At this point, I'm wondering if I should even continue with this.

Hit me up on the IRC channel.

A.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »
It seems like I'm the only one bothering to upload to Github.  Where is the other code?  I'm not doing this by myself, you know, it's supposed to be a collaboration.

Maybe you forgot to put out the Free Lunch sign.

kryton9

« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »
First, I believe in this project in one form or another. In a very short time, it has shown in not one way but many ways that this can really be something.

The big BUT, I think we are getting ahead of ourselves and avoiding sitting down, planning and laying things out a bit. And it is going to bite us big time soon.

John, I would call the project leader since he put all of this together and brought us all in at one point or another. On the other hand he is running lots of sites,
and many projects, as he said he is facilitator and has done a bang up job giving us so many tools to work with.

So someone else has to be the projects leader in terms of making this work and head of programming.

We have great test code, but our code does not work on all platforms. John stated he wanted to bring the BASIC guys into the C world, well most BASIC programmers
came from Atari's, Commodores, Sinclairs well you get the idea. Then MS-DOS came to be and we had GW-BASIC, well all of those guys are in the MS Windows world.

I am seeing nothing but incompatibility problems with all our code as I mentioned a few times already. We need to have a meeting, I mean a hangout with video, voice, share desktops etc.
to really hammer out stuff. We need all of us there.

John has posted many times lets all meet, I am the only one who replied with my available times. This is not collaborating and as AIR said is just wasting everyone's time.

Anyways, I am not ranting. I want this to succeed. But we need to be in sync, have a plan a road map and specific goals to meet.

Here is what is happening tonight when I try to run Air's awesome looking code using MingW in Windows (Where GW-BASIC and PoweBasic users are at, which seems to be our target audience).

If we do hangouts, we can record them and upload them to youtube. So if someone misses a meeting, they can watch later and see where the group is at.

My humble suggestions that I think in addition to the wonderful things we already have:
1. Google Drive for easy Collaborative Documentation of Project Objectives, Road Map and status of each phase. We have all sorts of document formats that can be edited very easily by many users in real time.
2. Use the Google Code site we have to store all of the daily latest code snapshots. I am going to make a video on how to do this without Git tonight.
Just a quickie so everyone uses the Google Code site.  Cloud9 is nice, but for experimentation and things in my opinion, not to do this whole project in.
3. We need to schedule when we can meet in a hangout to hammer out all of our opinions in an organized and visual way. I am going to buy a more powerful computer and get a better internet connection just to not hold up the group with my weak netbook and slow internet. But I won't spend the money till I hear that we are all committed to this.

Anyways, the code everyone has put together is outstanding that this project is doable and once we are better organized and can make our case to the programming public the more people we should get like JC Fuller, Daniel and all the talent that is out there.

I hope we can move forward TOGETHER!

kryton9

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2013, 03:51:11 AM »
Little update to my code. No warnings and no errors in mingw on windows at least. Its on the google code site.

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2013, 08:10:46 AM »
Here is what is happening tonight when I try to run Air's awesome looking code using MingW in Windows (Where GW-BASIC and PoweBasic users are at, which seems to be our target audience).

The missing headers error message under Windows is very easy to fix, which I have done.  Go grab the latest.  I was able to compile and run with both MinGW-32 AND 64.

A.

kryton9

« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »
Armando, compiles now fine on Windows.

I get a few warnings. The reason is that in the string class almost all, if not all ints type parameters are unsigned ints-- you are using signed ints in your sting functions.
I know this is just a demo and a very impressive one at that, but you said we should fix all warnings, so that is why I mentioned it.

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »
Really.

What flags are you passing to g++?  I don't get ANY warnings here, using MinGW 4.8.1

kryton9

« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
Screenshot with all details Armando.

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
Yeah, I enabled -Wall and saw that on Windows, but not on my Mac compiling using -m32.  When I use the default, or -m64 I don't see it either.

At any rate, it's fixed.  I changed the int's to size_t's, and all is well in the world again.  Works on Mac 32/64 and MinGW 32/64 with no warnings.  Updated the repository.

Thanks for the bug report.

A.

kryton9

« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »
Air your code is missing from the google code site?

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
Yes.  Placed it in a private repository.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
At this point while concepts are still being investigated and nothing is cast in stone, I recommend posting your code on the All BASIC C9 development site to share with the other developers. Post milestones to All BASIC for public feedback and sharing.

kryton9

« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
Ok I will move my stuff there today later too.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
Sorry Kent!

The main goal of setting up the Google Code site was not as a file repository but a documentation tool. After seeing what Joe did for the BaCon project on Google Code wiki, I was sure that was the way to go. Unfortunately Joe has gone  MIA and this effort may have been for nothing. Until I hear from Joe, I 'm not putting any more time in to Google Code.

Update: Joe has removed himself as a member of All BASIC. He never responded to the e-mails I sent him either. I wouldn't have put all this effort in setting up Google Code if his comments of being interested in the C BASIC project wasn't just BS.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:18:57 PM by John »

kryton9

« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »
No worries, I think having 1 site where the experimental code is, is a good idea.  I will remove my videos from youtube to avoid any confusion to anyone stumbling up on them too. See you guys on C9.