Author Topic: Wetspot II - C BASIC  (Read 14535 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: Wetspot II - C BASIC
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
Bad news on the Android front with Wetspot II. It  seems that SDL 1.2 (unsure about SDL 2) version for C4droid doesn't support accessing additional (file based) resources (world files and other images directories) when packaged as a .apk. (JNI issue) I haven't given up on this yet and will post something if I find a way.

kryton9

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
John, I did read SDL2 is not backwards compatible with the original SDL 1.x's. So good call on saving yourself aggravation.

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »
John, have you tried using the NDK to create your apk?

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
I wouldn't go backwards when I have great success compiling native. Wetspot II compiles fine so doing it with NDK would be a waste of time. I'm working with the C4droid author to help me zip the resources and have them unzip on install of the .apk. That should solve the problem. Typically resources should be included in the main executable. Not something you can do easy with games that have multiple levels and megabytes of resource files.

The NDK version doesn't create JNI interfaces to your native C SDL application. That's a C4droid exclusive.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:59:16 PM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
Wetspot III
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 11:27:20 PM »
The author of Wetspot II has a follow-up in the works. A Windows version binary is available from his site if you want to give it a try. A few screen shots to peek at.

Update This seems to be abandoned in 2004 and using an Allegro DLL (4.0) that I can't find. There is no source for this version. Screens look nice though.

* Showing the integrated scripts debugger in action
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:22:20 PM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 11:19:29 PM »
I asked the author of the C version of Wetspot II if he could make the screen larger for desktop installs of the game. (current focus is game consoles)

The files have been updated on Github.

Attached is the Ubuntu 64 bit version of the game if you would like to give it a  try.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:29:21 AM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
The hand held gaming arena seems pretty active with the cheep CPU ARM boards available. I think C BASIC could generate some interest in this area.

• CPU: Rockchip RK-3188 Cortex A9, Quad-Core (28nm)
  • GPU: Mali-400MP4 (Quad-Core)
  • RAM: 1GB DDR3
  • Internal Memory: 8GB Flash
  • Screen type: TFT Panel
  • Screen size: 5", 800*480
  • Camera: Front 0.3MPx (for videochat)
  • Wifi: 802.11b/g/n *
  • Bluetooth: optional
  • USB: OTG Enabled
  • MicroUSB: OTG Enabled *
  • HDMI: MiniHDMI Port
  • Wifi: 2.4G
  • Battery: 4000mAh *
  • 4 buttons panel (clasic panel)
  • 2 V-Motors
  • L2 and R2 will be analog triggers
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:30:12 PM by John »

kryton9

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
One thing I wonder about. The Beaglebone Black is  AM335x ARMĀ® Cortex-A8 processor. I did apt-get install build-essential to the ubuntu server edition I have installed on it.
So if I build an executable that runs on it, can that executable work on any linux that has that processor?

I hooked up a wireless keyboard, mouse and monitor to it to see it that stops it from locking up after random running time, from hours to day or 2. I had only it running connected to the internet and just SSH'd in the whole time before.

Anyways I can test our code now on Arm processors :)

Installing Mint in VM on the windows netbook at the same time.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »
I have been programming under Android ARM Linux since July 2012 when the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablets hit the shelves. (and shortly there after a scare Apple was going to have them banned - bought 4 on speculation - panned out in the end)