Author Topic: BC9 on Linux  (Read 7453 times)

mramos

BC9 on Linux
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:22:09 AM »
Has anyone compiled BC9 on Linux?  I was able to bc9 bc9.bas -nix    moved to Linux machine and did a gcc bc9.cpp -o bc9  

Throws a ton of errors.  The windows side worked, but I would like to work all on the Linux machine.

Had a lot of BaCon problems and can't get the author to contact me or add me to his forum, so going to go for BC9 and see how that goes.  Thanks for any help.  Also tried -ansi as well.

I am able to write programs on a Windows machine and copy them to a shared drive and gcc/run the .C file on the Linux machine.

It is an ARM version.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:44:23 AM by mramos »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: BC9 on Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
Another option is to run BC9 under Wine. I'm not a Windows fan and using the -nix options has worked for me with mixed results. I think James is still ironing out the kinks and settling in to his new home. At one point I thought his direction was an ANSI/ISO C version of the translator that would generate code (with appropriate headers) for the desired platform. Based on what I've read on the BCX Yahoo Groups forum, C++ support is being mentioned for BC9. ???  James is a member/developer on this forum so maybe he will chime in and set us all straight.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:20:12 AM by JRS »

mramos

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »
JRS,

Maybe I will give that a go, have heard about WinE but never tried it.  I am using it on a Raspberry Pi, hope it does not kill the little thing.

Off to try that.  I really liked BaCon (could not believe it was in BASH), but I can not get help with code that will compile but not run.  Or access to their forum.  The Admin here I think even sent him my email address.  So maybe they are giving it up on it. 

BC9 looks like something that will be around for some time.   Will be watching for updates.  I use PowerBASIC (RIP Bob Zale) for Windows/DOS, BaCon really got me all excited.  So will see what BC9 can do now.

Thanks again

mramos

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:21:21 AM »
Update:

No WinE or FreeBASIC for the ARM Linux machines, only for Intel/x86.

So I will write on the windows machine, save on the shared drive (BC9 it), toggle to ssh session and compile on the ARM Linux and run.  Not the end of the world.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:01:40 AM »
I have compiled MBC (Armando's BCX fork) and BaCon on Android Linux natively. Use the gcc compiler from C4droid + extensions. (Search the Google Play store)