Author Topic: Brandy BASIC V - Windows  (Read 6877 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Brandy BASIC V - Windows
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
I was able to compile the Brandy BASIC V 1.20 version on Windows XP using TDMGCC32. (see attached) I'm working on creating a libbbc.dll (SDL BBC graphics library) for Windows. I don't have much interest in Brandy BASIC V for Windows as Richard has that base covered with BBC BASIC for Windows.

Code: [Select]
REM Sieve of Eratosthenes Prime Number Program
:
size%=10000
iterations%=10
:
DIM flags%(size%)
:
T=TIME
PRINT;iterations%;" iterations."
FOR C%=1 TO iterations%
  PRINT"Doing ";C%
  count%=0
  flags%()=TRUE
  FOR I%=0 TO size%
    IF flags%(I%) THEN
      prime%=I%+I%+3
      K%=I%+prime%
      WHILE K%<=size%
        flags%(K%)=FALSE
        K%+=prime%
      ENDWHILE
      count%+=1
    ENDIF
  NEXT
NEXT
PRINT"There are ";count%;" primes"
PRINT"Time taken=";(TIME-T)/100;" seconds"
END

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
Re: Brandy BASIC V - Windows
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »
The Brandy BASIC V I compiled in the last post was a console mode version of Brandy. Before I spend any time trying to create a Windows version of the BBC BASIC graphics library based on Brandy's SDL code, I wanted to see if Brandy would compile using the default makefile which uses SDL. It compiled without error and came up with a user prompt in SDL mode. It doesn't respond and needs to be forced to quit but it's what I needed to see before starting the libbbc.dll effort.

This looks too familiar of a problem and I'm thinking the work I put into the Android version of Brandy would solve the problem on Windows.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:04:12 PM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
Re: Brandy BASIC V - Windows
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
I thought I would give Brandy BASIC V a try on Windows 7 64 bit. I was unable to compiled the console mode version as 32 or 64 bit. (worked under XP in my Virtual Box) Here is the sieve test using the TDMGCC32 compiled version and David Burnard's Napoleon Brandy BASIC V version. Where I have seen the difference is in graphics performance. If all your interested in is a interactive text console mode BASIC, either will do.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:34:11 PM by John »