Author Topic: BASIC  (Read 55392 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: BASIC
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
N.B. If you are using PB to develop your ThinBasic interpreter, in accordance with your PB license you can't just create a wrapper to the PB UTF8toChr$ function, but using the MultiByteToWideChar functin would be OK..

Not only is Eros using a dead BASIC, he can't use the features of the compiler due to license issues.  The definition of blind loyalty or inability to accept change?

If I were Eros, I would become good friends with Patrice and beg him to share his C++ translations of PB code.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:01:53 PM by John »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2018, 11:50:13 PM »
No need to beg, really. Using system WinAPI (strings) and msvcrt.dll (numbers) for similar purposes under MS Windows is in fact pretty obvious and straight-forward, and should be a piece of cake for anyone who professes an SDK programming style, which I'm sure Eros does.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2018, 03:45:52 AM »
When I'm gone, there shouldn't be a problem with someone continuing on with Script BASIC being written in ANSI C. Who would want to carry on with thinBasic after he is gone? Eros will take his BASIC with him just like Zale did.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »
Eros is young enough not to addle his brain with such matters yet. :D OTOH he seems to be a chopper racing addict and this is somewhat alarming... ;D

(Note the license plate letters! :D )

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2018, 02:00:02 PM »
Eros has a big heart but that is his greatest vulnerability.

No one should take life for granted. Everyday is a gift.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2018, 02:35:04 PM »
HOLY CARP! You're right!

I even added 32bit graphics to SpecBAS for that reason. Damn, I need to see if I can dig the code out.

I had posted many Script BASIC examples using FIX yet Paul Dunny ignored it and claimed SB as unfinished. Everything looks unfinished if guided by bitterness. I think Paul was better off being a nurse.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:41:25 PM by John »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
No, the problem was not with FIX, which was implemented in SpecBAS all right (though under the name INT), but rather with INT proper that's an equivalent to the floor() function in C.

FBSL BASIC did not use classic BASIC INT function name for truncation towards negative infinity because, similar to C, FBSL also uses casts. FBSL BASIC's C-stylish int cast is equivalent to stripping a floating point number of its decimal digits altogether without concurrent rounding in any direction. It's the fastest thing you can do to avoid function call and exec overhead, and in many cases it is sufficient to achieve the desired conversion effect. OTOH INT, FIX, ROUND and the like are math functions incurring call/return overhead and multiple CPU/FPU operations.

We deemed it unreasonable to confuse the FBSL users with similar sounding int casts and int function, so we decided to call our int function Floor(), and again similar to C, its counterpart Ceil() that we used to truncate floating point numbers towards positive infinity.

After all, a modern mature BASIC's semantics and vocabulary are supposed to get richer 50+ years since Dartmouth, aren't they? ;)

(Stop grumbling, John, it's unreasonable to keep waving fists after the fight. ;) )

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »
Seems dead. It might be the reason he is so bitter on RetroB.

Offline erosolmi

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
Mike, what an investigator :)
Plate ends with 007
 ;D

KTM Superduke 1290
182hp
Already done 73k km with it. 2 incidents alone for going too fast :)
Wheelie in 3th gear for hundred of meters
A pleasure to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr4CZUJqCuo

Anyway, if I will die, I've already left instructions to release thinBasic code as free to all ... mmmmh maybe someone will kill me to have sources?
Keep calm and go programming instead of loosing all that time in writing useless posts.

Ciao

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:25:41 AM by erosolmi »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
I would concur that Eros is our 007 of the BASIC world.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
B+ (Mark) reminds me of the guy who can't pass up trash on the curb without scoring through it to see if there is anything of value.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2018, 01:58:17 AM »
No matter what the intention behind scriba, it is an excellent crossplatform scripting engine.

While not as rich as the VBS engine on Windows, it is quite a bit faster for many things, and will generally run scripts natively on at least Windows and *ix.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2018, 08:54:59 AM »
Script BASIC is the super glue in my software toolbox.

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »
When code challenges become more complex then the job I'm being paid to write, the pissing contest rapidly loses my interest.

Code challenges that might have real world application are going to be more complex than trivial crap like the Floyd Triangle. 

Honestly, if you want SB to be seriously considered as a part of someone's arsenal, then just show what it can do and possibly how easy it can do it.  Let the platform speak for itself.

AIR.