Author Topic: RetroB Forum  (Read 9201 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
RetroB Forum
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:03:16 AM »
Dear community, this site will be closed by the 4th of November 2019.
I think BASIC is now a rather dead language and all BASICs which are a bit more successful do have their own dedicated forums (qb64, FreeBASIC, PureBASIC ...)
Maybe we will meet there again.
Oh, and by the way, this means all my other domains will be closed, too (all pulsar2d.org related domains).

It was a lot of fun the last years (more than a decade???); all started with that simple Yabasic forum.

I want to thank you all for your participation and wish you the very best for your (programming) future.

All RetroB members are welcome on AllBASIC if your looking for a new BASIC home.

Note:
Persoal attacks will not be tolerated. There are no second chances.

I would be willing to host a read only copy of the RetroB forum as a sub-domain of AllBasic to retain posts made by members.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:19:00 AM by John »

Mike Lobanovsky

Re: RetroB Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 12:23:48 PM »
I guess the database contains not only the posts but also their attachments (there are no expiry limits on their forums), which are mostly audiovisuals and the like that sometimes may be even more meaningful than the posts themselves.

Do you think you could also support those?

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 12:35:38 PM »
If Cybermonkey can do a SQL dump of the forum DB and zip up the attachments directory I can recreate it as a read only forum on a sub-domaim. I have no interest in supporting another dying BASIC forum.

FYI

There are about 27,600,000 results (indexes) for allbasic.info for Google alone. Stuff posted here gets seen.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:20:41 PM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
The RetroBASIC forum archive is now available to view. (ReadOnly)

It looks like everything ported over (posts / attachments) but I did notice a few images that didn't make it. Let me know if you discover any other issues.

Markus,

You may want to redirect the current URL to retrobasic.allbasic.info. If that isn't possible, transfer the URL to me and I'll setup a redirect host.

Your BASIC mortuary and birthing resource. 🙃
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:29:30 PM by John »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
Thank you, John!

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 01:20:17 AM »
You're welcome.

It wasn't all that difficult. I only had to import the following tables.

• attachments
  • categories
  • boards
  • messages (posts)

Members, PM's and log info wasn't imported.

Offline Cybermonkey342

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
Hi John,

and thanks for hosting this read only copy of the forum. Since the URL will be gone soon, I don't know if a redirection will make any sense.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 01:22:31 PM »
Hi John,

and thanks for hosting this read only copy of the forum. Since the URL will be gone soon, I don't know if a redirection will make any sense.

It's really for the search engines and directing old members to the new location as a reference.

Mike is now a global moderator on AllBASIC as is AIR. He would like to expand the forum to better serve newcomers. Currently AllBASIC is focused towards BASIC developers.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:25:09 PM by John »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 01:54:42 AM »
Thank you, John.

I think it may come in handy for our new members (BASIC users mostly rather than developers) to have a dedicated board called User Area (or User Corner, or something of the sort) with the following child boards:

-- Offtopic (completely free exchange of views on important matters in life, not necessarily related to programming)
-- BASIC Code (user programs, code snippets, example code written in BASIC dialects)
-- Non-BASIC Code (same but written for educational and/or comparison purposes in any language other than BASIC)
-- Gaming (user-submitted games written in any programming language at the user's option)
-- Challenges (cross-language code efficiency competitions, general benchmarking and other user-submitted tests).

I'd also suggest making message attachments persistent, if possible, to keep and grow the user code base without losing the informational value of user submissions in the future.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 02:34:55 AM »
Mike,

There is a code challenge and NOT BASIC board that exists now. Do we need to replicate that in the User category?

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 03:05:49 AM »
John,

Code Challenges

This board is for multi-language code challenges to address everyday tasks developers face. This is not a Hobby code center. There are other forums for that.

???

Re. NON-BASIC, yes, I can subside to the existing one. ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:07:44 AM by Mike Lobanovsky »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 03:26:18 AM »
I'll correct the verbiage about not being a hobby resouce.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 03:54:08 AM »
Agreed!

Offline Cybermonkey342

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 12:19:01 PM »
I just wanted to add, that my projects won't be completely gone. AllegroBASIC is now accessible via http://allegrobasic.ga/
Pulsar2D and the long promised PulsarBASIC will follow soon ...

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
There is a lot of valuable code contributed to the RetroBasic forum. It's too bad folks like Aurel and Tomaaz made it a battle field. Members didn't sign up for that.

AllBASIC.info

Most Online Today: 297. Most Online Ever: 297 (Today at 06:53:56 AM)

We can thank Mike for his efforts getting the word out.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 02:50:40 PM by John »