Author Topic: Script BASIC Windows 32 bit  (Read 3025 times)

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
Re: Script BASIC Windows 32 bit
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 05:25:30 AM »
Which is fair enough.

My comment about one-file-one-window was aimed more toward the folks who are used to having several files open at the same time (such as the main program and several #INCLUDEs).

I normally edit my source code in ConText, but when working with Arduino code, the IDE is an MDI container, allowing tab-switching between main program code and #INCLUDEs. I didn't want anyone to assume an Arduino-type interface.

I do prefer this interface.

Offline Mike Lobanovsky

• BASIC Developer
    • FBSL
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »
I didn't want anyone to assume an Arduino-type interface.

In fact, a multi-tabbed MDI or SDI editing interface is very handy. I tend to split all my scripts in Eclecta (FBSL's stock IDE) into the main project file -- typically the one with the Main() function or the Events loop -- and a number of includes that would group the other functions logically according to their purpose in the application, pretty much like a Visual Studio would. That's what UltraEdit is designed to do too. UE is a great tool but it being a powerful all-purpose text editor seems a little bit of an overkill for a BASIC IDE.

Alternatively, a usable IDE might have splitters to divide the viewport into 2 or 4 distinct areas scrollable to their own portions within a long script, which would minimize time and effort to scroll the script back and forth while editing its portions. The most advanced setups would even allow the user to load different files into the different sub-windows of the split viewport. But still I find the multi-tabbed IDEs to be the most intuitive and easy to handle of all.
Mike

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »
I haven't used FBSL, but that sounds very much like the story with many IDEs by the time they reach full maturity.

Like you, Mike, my programs tend to be composed of lots of reusable chunks of code that are arranged by purpose.

With some big, multi purpose code, I will even use #IF NOT([variable]) to exclude sub-functions that don't need to be included.

I do like the idea of mutiple windows into a large file, but I have never used it (and don't know wheter I ever would, now that my habits are pretty set).

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
The next release of the Script BASIC IDE/Debugger will be done with IUP so it's cross platform. I can't see anything special to VB6. It was just what Dave was comfortable writting his UI code in. I will also be including the IUP dialog editor integrated into the new IDE.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:46:51 PM by John »

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 03:15:57 AM »
*big Thumbsup*

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 01:04:35 AM »
All I have to do now is create the README file and I should be ready to post a public beta of Script BASIC Windows 32 bit packaged  with the Inno installer. (SBWin32_Setup.exe)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:08:56 AM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
Re: Script BASIC Windows 32 bit - Download Available
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »
I have finally assembled an Inno install for Script BASIC for Windows 32 bit with extension modules and their dependencies included. This is my first public release in this format and would appreciate any feedback you're willing to offer to make Script BASIC even better for everyone.

If you plan on using the MySQL extension module or use the SBHTTPD proxy web server, I highly recommend installing the 32 bit version of the XAMPP package (and any of the other free packages they offer) for your local  database and Apache web server environment.

Script BASIC Examples and Source

Download Attached
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:55:25 PM by John »