Author Topic: FPS Graphics  (Read 3780 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
FPS Graphics
« on: November 08, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »
I noticed on the BP.org site a thread about controlling the frame rate of animated graphics. The Script BASIC SDL_gfx extension module supports defining a frame rate and maintaining it.

The framerate functions are used to insert delays into the graphics loop to maintain a constant framerate.

The implementation is more sophisticated that the usual SDL_Delay(1000/FPS); call since these functions keep track of the desired game time per frame for a linearly interpolated sequence of future timing points of each frame. This is done to avoid rounding errors from the inherent instability in the delay generation and application - i.e. the 100th frame of a game running at 50Hz will be accurately 2.00sec after the 1st frame (if the machine can keep up with the drawing).

Interface

The functions return 0 or value for sucess and -1 for error. All functions use a pointer to a framerate-manager variable to operate.

void SDL_initFramerate(FPSmanager * manager);
Initialize the framerate manager, set default framerate of 30Hz and reset delay interpolation.

int SDL_setFramerate(FPSmanager * manager, int rate);
Set a new framerate for the manager and reset delay interpolation.

int SDL_getFramerate(FPSmanager * manager);
Get the currently set framerate of the manager.

void SDL_framerateDelay(FPSmanager * manager);
Generate a delay to accommodate currently set framerate. Call once in the graphics/rendering loop. If the computer cannot keep up with the rate (i.e. drawing too slow), the delay is zero and the delay interpolation is reset.

Code: ScriptBasic
  1. ' ScriptBasic GFX - Frame rate controlled circles
  3. IMPORT gfx.inc
  5. scrn = gfx::Window(640, 480, "ScriptBasic GFX - FPS Circles")
  6. ' Random Value Arrays
  7. RANDOMIZE(gfx::Time())
  8. FOR i = 0 TO 512
  9.   rx[i] = RND() % 640
  10.   ry[i] = 60 + RND() % 480 - 80
  11.   rz[i] = RND() % 64
  12.   rr[i] = RND() AND  255
  13.   rg[i] = RND() AND  255
  14.   rb[i] = RND() AND  255
  15.   af = rx[i] / 640
  16.   ra[i] = INT(255 * af)
  17. NEXT
  18. gfx::SDL_initFramerate
  19. i = 0
  20. REPEAT
  21.   gfx::filledCircleRGBA scrn, rx[i], ry[i], rz[i], rr[i], rg[i], rb[i], 255
  22.   i += 1
  23.   IF i > 512 THEN i = 0
  24.   gfx::Update
  25.   gfx::SDL_framerateDelay
  26.   gfx::stringColor scrn, 20, 15,"FPS: " & gfx::SDL_getFramerate() & CHR(0), 0xffffffff  
  27. UNTIL gfx::KeyName(0) = "+escape"
  28. gfx::Close

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:14:03 PM by John »