Author Topic: JADE - A Sneak Peek  (Read 29959 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: JADE - A Sneak Peek
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 12:54:28 AM »
C++ BASIC

kryton9

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2013, 01:53:25 AM »
I did a search for Basic++ and came up with this. It is interesting.
http://www.spiketronics.com/daten/xbpp.html

Got a start on SFML2 and Jade, but need to work on it a bit more before I upload it. But here is version 1 of how it looks.

Offline AIR

• Coder
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2013, 07:38:12 AM »
I'm a worrier and I know it is early in the adventure, but I think we need to nail down a name, because this project is really flying along and it is going to be something that a lot of people are going to find very interesting.

I like the name Jade, but there is another programming language by that name and usually when you see programming languages with a  J, you think of Java and/or some port from or to Java.

I thought Air++ would be cool, but searching tonight I came across Adobe AIR and a presentation about Adobe AIR++.
Clean is already taken. a search for Clear, came out OK and so did Clear++

I'm sorry, but those are just silly. ;D

It's important to state what THIS Jade is not:  A Programming Language.

What it is, is a Programming Aide.  A few custom c++ string wrapper functions I've written, and a bunch of #defines that gives the illusion of using a different syntax to code in c++.  That's all.

Once I make this available to the public (within the next week), I don't think the name will be a real issue.

Jade = "Jade's a Developing Experiment". I think that pretty much sums things up.

Just refer to it as J.A.D.E. and I think you'll be fine.  8)

On a different note:  Which license would you suggest that this be released under?  I'm leaning towards MIT or NCSA, which seem the least restrictive.  You can compare the different licenses at: http://opensource.org/licenses/category

A.

kryton9

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
Well here is something else that came to me while sleeping and it stemmed from what you said before
Remember, this was originally supposed to be a way for BASIC programmers to slide over to C/C++.
That is all well and good, but now that we have been experimenting we have opened a door to many things. What about the people that use python, lua, and ruby, they are probably more in number than old basic users. And what about new people coming to c/c++, Jade has shown that we can offer wrappers for all of these folks.

So JADE as it is now is perfect for the original goal BASIC to C/C++.
But I think we could have more wrappers as you say that can bring more people the power of c/c++

I guess they could be all named differently, maybe there are different kind of Jade's, let me check... yeah there are different kind of Jades:
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/arts/jade.htm  even nice shorter chinese names for them.

About licencing, I used MIT before and was happy with that.

I will make a nicer SFML2 demo then using JADE official syntax and then fork off a version with another type of Jade, for new comers to C++ from python, ruby and lua (less verbose, but still nice and Basicy)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:44:18 AM by kryton9 »

kryton9

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »
To save you guys from having to read that whole article and pick out the names here is what I pulled out quickly:

Jade  Yu

Jadeite It contains an iron component which appears red, chromium that appears green, and many other colored types. Known as the 'king of jade', it is usually a more expensive type.

Nephrite Jade  according to color: white, grey, green, topaz, and black jade.

Serpentine jade  Xiu yu coloured in various shades of green. Usually serpentine jade is semi-transparent or even opaque like wax.

Lantian jade colors of yellow or light green
Nanyang jade also known as Dushan jade you will find rare purple, blue and red ones.

The reason I want to nail it down is I want to work on some graphics.

Do you have a color in mind for JADE, it seems to come in many colors AIR?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:46:33 AM by kryton9 »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Personally I'm more interested in what's in the box rather than how you wrap it and the pretty bow you use. If JADE is a naming issue than call C++ BASIC as a generic reference until AIR settles on an official name.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:50:05 AM by John »

Offline AIR

• Coder
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2013, 11:54:36 AM »
Name your forks what you like, I'm sticking with JADE.

Focus on writing some code, instead of all this other stuff for now.

A.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »
Name your forks what you like, I'm sticking with JADE.

Go AIR. I'll be hanging out here at ...

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:47:58 PM by John »

kryton9

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
I guess I like to plan and build on steps.

A name is very important, but it is your project so, ok no logos or 3d then I won't waste my time since not important.

I'll be a good silent code monkey :)

Nice artwork John!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:01:15 PM by kryton9 »

kryton9

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 01:55:07 PM »
Here is SFML2 for Jade. I am attaching the latest version here. Just put the unzipped folder into your Jade folder: Jade/SFML2
Git is too confusing uploading, asking for pulls and all that stuff. It is great for getting the latest version however. I will use it that way.

removed source attachment as it has been added to Jade.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:16:30 PM by kryton9 »

kryton9

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »
Air, wow-- how many libraries do you have installed in total? 1.FLTK, 2.WX, 3.SDL1, 4.SDL2...?

Offline AIR

• Coder
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »
The beauty of compiling from source is that they're just a "make uninstall" away from removal....

kryton9

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
ahhh I see thanks for the secret.

kryton9

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
AIR, have you ever tried JUCE?  I have always drooled over it from what I read, but could never get it setup in Windows to use.
http://www.juce.com/features
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:19:29 PM by kryton9 »

kryton9

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »
FLTK in Linux Mint 15 virtual machine.