Poll

What BASIC compiler would you use for a client that is paying you to do it right?

PowerBASIC
0 (0%)
FreeBASIC
0 (0%)
OxygenBasic
0 (0%)
VB.Net
0 (0%)
BASIC to C translator
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What BASIC to use?  (Read 4647 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
What BASIC to use?
« on: May 12, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »
This poll is to get a sense of how BASIC programmers feel about their compiler options.

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
Re: What BASIC to use?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:45:14 AM »
Nobody wants me to program anything for them.

Probably just as well, really - I'm still stuck using VB6 as a compiler, but all manner of interpreted BASICs go into things I write.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:17:33 AM »
I tend to use Script BASIC as the core language and C extensions for the vast amount of open source libraries and for performance if needed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:30:20 PM by John »

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Most of what I do is embedded microprocessor stuff usning Arduino (Arduino C++), but interfaced to the host system using either VB6, VBScript or an interpreted BASIC.

Script Basic is my usual go-to interpreter, but I have been known to use QBASIC-64

VB6 is useful as it is pretty close to being identical to VBA in the Microsoft Office suite and VBScript - which means that I can just drop in most of my code (functions and subs, mainly) where it is needed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:05:55 PM by AlyssonR »

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
Honestly, since the state of BASIC on MacOS is mostly crap (Xojo is the only possible exception, but I'm not willing to pay the yearly subscription for the full Desktop/Mobile/Web/Database-Enabled version), I don't have a choice as far as BASIC.

I wanted to like QB64 but because they insist on opening up a separate terminal when I'm launching an app from the terminal, I quickly dropped it.  Additionally, their build scripts on MacOS don't work without some fixes (good thing I know BASH).  The final kicker was a 1.1 MegaByte "Hello World" app.  Their forums were no help, since apparently there's a database issue with it.

I find myself using NIM a bit these days, when I'm not using ObjC.  On the Windows side, I use C# (or AutoIt3 when I need something quick).

AIR.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 11:15:04 PM »
AIR,

Do you find yourself using Script BASIC for anything?

Offline AlyssonR

• Advocate
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 01:47:14 AM »
QB64 ...

I only use QB64 when I have a management script I need to run on my servers that was originally developed in QuickBasic, or I need a quick and dirty file dump with formatting.

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
AIR,

Do you find yourself using Script BASIC for anything?

I think it's a solid product once you familiarize yourself with it, but I don't actively use it myself.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 02:04:46 PM »
AIR,

I just wanted to say if it wasn't for your Script BASIC contributions, the interpreter would be nowhere close to where it is today.

THANK YOU!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:07:41 PM by John »