Author Topic: C BASIC  (Read 65482 times)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
Re: C BASIC
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »
Those that might be interested in C BASIC will download the examples we have posted here and try it on their own environment. We aren't offering more than a text file of defines and C libraries from Charles when he is ready to release them.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
C BASIC - Google Code
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
The Google Code site is specifically for Charles's version of C BASIC. Those that are doing variations should request a membership on the All BASIC Cloud9 IDE site and join the other variation developers there. As these versions mature and are ready to release for feedback, public workspaces on the All BASIC C9 IDE account will be made available. Check the All BASIC site frequently for progress of these projects.

It you would like to contribute to the All BASIC C BASIC project, examples and documentation are needed for the core C BASIC implementation. (using Charles Pegge's defines and libraries)

The All BASIC Developer site offers a forum for BASIC (like) authors and advocates/co-developers. If you have questions or would like to share your comments with the group, an IRC/chat and mailing list are available to non-members.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:08:30 PM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
C BASIC - Status Unknown
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
It seems the C BASIC project as far as a C direction by Charles has faded. I haven't heard anything from Charles and my e-mails are being ignored. I will do what I can to support AIR's JADE effort as it seems to have a lot of promise. I'm not a C++ programmer so I will be sitting in the back of the bus on this trip.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:36:23 PM by John »

Offline AIR

• BASIC Developer
  • Coder
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
OH NO YOU WON'T!

Time to get your hands dirty, Son!  I'm not doing this all by myself, been through that with MBC.  I don't care if anyone sucks at c++, I'm no freaking expert either.

Bottom line:  Either contribute something, or this will fade away too.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2013, 01:56:57 PM »
Bottom line:  Either contribute something, or this will fade away too.

I have been contributing.

• Site setup
  • ROOT/CINT/CLING
  • Testing your builds

All I'm saying is that Kent will have to take a more active role. I'm still getting my arms around C. I'm willing to learn. I just don't know how much help I'm going to be.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:02:18 PM by John »

kryton9

« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
Actually what AIR has done is amazing already. He has already gotten it to a point where it is just a matter of selecting the libraries you want to write a wrapper for.
I am in the process of doing simple SDL2 and SFML2 tests, instead of wrappers for those libraries.

I want to see how Jade mixed with the c++ standard code for those libraries looks like.
This way, we won't have to maintain wrapper libraries if it is easy enough to follow.

The SDL examples AIR has made already have some SDL things wrapped to look nice and tidy.

kryton9

« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »
I know Charles has been busy updating Oxygen to match up with the latest thinBASIC, as there has been some guys using both oxygen and thinbasic to make some nice demos using both and Petr has added new things to tbgl to match their requests. So I am sure that took some time to get that all working.

Offline Charles Pegge

• BASIC Developer
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2013, 08:12:57 PM »
Hello guys,

I've been very busy over the last week or so on the C project, and had to withdraw myself from any distraction. Unfortunately that means disregarding all email (except for bills and taxes!), though I have endeavoured to follow all your forum deliberations. Email is not a good mode of communication for me.

There are many months of work ahead that I need to do for the OxygenBasic project, and I think this C stuff is going to be a major part of it, and I can post all the components here or GitHub, once they are structurally stable and free of any fundamental design flaws.

My preference is for C over C++, since C is universally available, and covers all the essentials for a translator/emitter - not all distros include C++. Though I am willing to be persuaded otherwise :)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »
Thanks for the update Charles. The best place to post your code at this point is C9. CINT is installed there for C testing and debugging. There we can all contribute and share ideas. BitBucket is what AIR and I use for our variations. (private repositories / invitation only)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:29:34 PM by John »

kryton9

« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
Hi Charles, you got and have had a vision in your mind and it is coming together. Just keep doing what you are doing and see how far it goes. Nice to hear that C BASIC and what is going on in Oxygen are mind melding together :)

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
My plan is to get everything working with C BASIC on Linux before making any attempts at WINBox. I think JADE (C++) is a better solution for Windows 64 bit. If Charles wants to support the Windows platform with C BASIC, it would be great.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
There are C operators that don't have a traditional BASIC equivalent. I'm trying not to introduce new BASIC keywords when learning the C functionality makes more sense. I think there needs to be a README or something that explains what they mean and do. The idea behind C BASIC to to make C look more like BASIC not convert every C symbol to BASIC syntax. C BASIC is meant to help BASIC programmers become C programmers without the huge learning curve.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2013, 11:36:13 PM »
I have converted the SDL 1.2 sprites demo to C BASIC in the GUI thread if you want to have a peek. (Windows XP, Ubuntu 64 & Android)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:30:39 PM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
C BASIC - SDL/OpenGL source code posted
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »
I just finished converting the SDL/OpenGL example to C BASIC. It's impressive to be able to drag the window around the screen and the spinning high color cube doesn't skip a beat. I'm going to try and get it to compile on Android and Windows. I'll post the screen shots like the SDL Sprites demo done earlier.

I didn't have to add any new keywords to cbasic.h and it compiled the first time I tried.  8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:10:23 PM by John »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
C BASIC - Bitbucket Project Site
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »
I have opened the C BASIC Bitbucket repository / project site to the public for read access and issue tracking. I was told by the IUP author that 3.9 is scheduled for a Nov. 25th 2013 release date. My plan is to convert some of the 3.9 specific demos to C BASIC and get them up on the project site.

Comments and suggestions welcome.