Author Topic: JADE - A Sneak Peek  (Read 29957 times)

kryton9

Re: JADE - A Sneak Peek
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 08:40:45 PM »
I was looking at Geany, but it setup project files also, at least in the screenshots I looked through.
I guess I can play around with them all and see which works best. Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline AIR

• Coder
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 08:53:41 PM »
I was looking at Geany, but it setup project files also, at least in the screenshots I looked through.

I don't use Project files in Geany.  See attached screenshot to see how I use it.

kryton9

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 08:56:06 PM »
I got some recommendations on syntax changes that I see so far.

Reason against:
DIM AS:  I don't see the need for this as C/C++:  type variable; is clear, short and sweet:  int a;  as opposed to DIM AS INTEGER a;

Reason for keeping:
If we supported Keywords that related to DIM, REDIM, CLEAR and ERASE for instance. But this day and age, we don't need them unless doing micro-controller coding, but then we would use C Basic instead. And C has malloc, realloc, calloc and free which matched BASIC's DIM, REDIM, CLEAR and ERASE and would be easy to wrap.

Reason against:
BEGIN: I don't think we need it with any block that has its own ENDBLOCKTYPE Keyword. For example:
FUNCTION ENDFUNCTION, SUB ENDSUB, SELECT ENDSELECT and so on.

It should just be used in Blocks that have just END, so BEGIN  END

Reason against:
CONSTRUCTOR and DESTRUCTOR:  These are too long and used often. CTOR and DTOR are nice short names that you see often.
CLASS and ENDCLASS match well with CTOR and DTOR in terms of readability, if you ask me.

kryton9

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »

I don't use Project files in Geany.  See attached screenshot to see how I use it.

Looks nice, will definitely try it out, thanks for the nice screenshot AIR.

Offline AIR

• Coder
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »
Beauty of this approach is that you have a choice!

Those are just syntactic sugar for those that don't know about CTOR/DTOR etc.  Remember, this was originally supposed to be a way for BASIC programmers to slide over to C/C++.

So if you don't want to use them, you don't have to.  Normal C++ syntax will work as well.

Offline AIR

• Coder
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
John asked me to post a pic of the SDL2 PONG Demo running on OSX.  See attachment.

kryton9

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 09:03:44 PM »
I will fork from my repo and try alternate sugar coating to see how it looks in actual code as to not mess up the Jade smooth way fork and main repo.

Offline AIR

• Coder
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »
Create a TESTING branch and mess around in there.  Easier to switch back and forth without extra clutter on your drive.

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »
@Kent - We are waiting to the Windows version of Pong. I have Linux and Android covered and AIR does OSX.

So if you don't want to use them, you don't have to.  Normal C++ syntax will work as well.

That is the simple truth. It's what your eyes are more comfortable viewing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:12:39 PM by John »

kryton9

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
always nice to see screenshots, looks nice and brings back memories from how excited all of us got when we saw that game.

About Apple and Coding on Macs, I felt like a slave chained to Apple via itunes to do coding. I guess that is how they maintain the uniform and quality control to Apple customers, but it felt very strangling after coming from Windows.

About linux, man, I am having a heck of time installing SDL2. Arrggggg oooooffff.
SDL2 site about installing SDL on linux:
Linux:
Please contact your distribution maintainer for updates.

So I search the package manager nothing.
Then I do:
apt-get update
apt-cache search libSDL2
nothing... try
apt-cache search SDL2
find stuff from java

I guess I have to manually download each tar file and do it like you do on Windows. So no benefit there.

kryton9

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »
Ok John, I will work in Windows.

Probably safer for me and less hair loss, or of what is left-- keeping it from turning more grey :)

Offline AIR

• Coder
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
I wrote a shell script to automate this.

Save this as "getSDL2.sh":

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

FILES=(http://libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.1.tar.gz
   http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/release/SDL2_image-2.0.0.tar.gz
   http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/release/SDL2_mixer-2.0.0.tar.gz
   http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/release/SDL2_ttf-2.0.12.tar.gz)

for FILE in ${FILES[@]};do
FNAME=$(basename $FILE)
echo "Downloading "$FNAME
wget $FILE
echo "Unpacking "$FNAME
tar xzvf $FNAME
FOLDER=${FNAME%.tar.*}
echo "Changing to "$FOLDER "And Compiling"
pushd $FOLDER
./configure && make && sudo make install
popd
echo
done

After saving it, you need to set it so it's executable:  chmod a+x getSDL2.sh

Copy or move it to a scratch folder, and run it like this:  sudo ./getSDL2.sh

All of this is done in a TERMINAL, no clicky-feely here.

A.

kryton9

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »
Thanks AIR will try in a moment...  Brilliant, it is working away as I edit this!!  THANKS.
You should put that on the web in a blog post or something or submit it to the SDL2 folks, they sure need this!

Updated: I got an error when getting SDL-ttf, probably a glitch in the internet. Will try again later.

Attached is JadeWinPong.jpg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:21:15 PM by kryton9 »

Offline John

• Forum Support / SB Dev
    • ScriptBasic Open Source Project
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 10:30:26 PM »
There you have it folks. All the major OSs running the same C++ program that looks like BASIC.

No one has joined the All BASIC mailing list or bothered to use the chat except AIR, Kent and I. (Aurel said HI) I wonder what everyone else is doing that is so much better?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:43:15 PM by John »

kryton9

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 12:51:42 AM »
I'm a worrier and I know it is early in the adventure, but I think we need to nail down a name, because this project is really flying along and it is going to be something that a lot of people are going to find very interesting.

I like the name Jade, but there is another programming language by that name and usually when you see programming languages with a  J, you think of Java and/or some port from or to Java.

I thought Air++ would be cool, but searching tonight I came across Adobe AIR and a presentation about Adobe AIR++.
Clean is already taken. a search for Clear, came out OK and so did Clear++